Decided to finally put my the rest of my posters up in my apartment walls after almost a year of living here. It’s nice to be add a little geekiness to this abode. Makes me feel more at home!
Happy New Year, everyone!! ☆*:.｡. o(≧▽≦)o .｡.:*☆
It’s that time again, where we all proclaim “new year, new me”.
Last year, all I asked was to be happy and I am! Though, I feel like making proper goals again otherwise it feels like I have no direction. I am naturally quite a laid back person, so if I don’t make plans in advance I’m most likely to veg out big time. No no no, self. Not this year. Cue this years goals~
1) Create zines and get a table at zinefest
This is something I really want to do, and having a table will push me to take the plunge! I just think they are really cool as well as being a great means of self expression.
2) Get a table at Overload again and make sweet merch
I do this every year, but as per usual – I always want to improve and make better stuff to sell.
3) Show more gratitude and care
I am becoming more grateful for the little things as I grow older, but I want to be more compassionate too.
4) Start selling merchandise online
I’m getting more interest in my artwork, and people have been asking when things will be sold online. Perhaps its a good chance
5) Keep in touch with friends
Even though I get stressed and busy often, I feel like I need to make more time for my friends.
6) Blog more
Seriously, now. I’ve got a domain for it now – motivation enough? 😛
7) Make videos
Cos I did it once before and it was quite fun! It will also push me to speak better haha.
8) Make effort to dress up more often, and dye the hair lighter already!
Cos I’d like to be more adventurous with my fashion taste to match what I feel it should be.
9) Make it a point to study/do code exercises/projects way more often
It’s good to polish the skills and keep up to date! I’ll feel better about it when I go to work too
10) Do more creative stuff!
Do the comic thing. Draw. Do crafty stuff. Make tutorials. Just, create like you were born to!
11) Be happy and believe!
To keep a positive temperament and be okay with the way I am and the things I love. But remember its okay to express yourself when stressed and to let it all out. Try not to dwell on things more than is needed, because in the end – its action that keeps one moving forward. :’)
12) Don’t be afraid to trust people
Cos people are scary. Help.
13) Be more organised and clear out some clutter
This will probably be the toughest one because I like to keep a lot of things. Hoarders anonymous? Haha.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
What are your goals for 2016?
Well, if it isn’t that time of year again? Just makes you realise how fast time flies and it is a little scary! One day, I’ll be an old granny and I’ll still be like “It only felt like yesterday when I …”. I guess that’s a message to make the most of your lives while you still have all the time in the world! Cos you just never know …
Anyways, here’s a roundup of what made my 2015 ｡ﾟ✶ฺ.ヽ(*´∀`*)ﾉ.✶ฺﾟ｡
1) Starting a new job!
2) Beginning a new relationship with an awesome guy~ （〃・ω・〃）♡
3) Ski trips, and learning how to snowboard. I never imagined I would do this – I was pretty anxious about it being handsfree with nothing to hold onto! I headed on to my lessons with no expectations whatsoever and it turned out great~ I’m still a rookie, but from zero to ‘hero’ I think I did a pretty good job hehe.
4) All the conventions I’ve attended this year~ Chromacon, Zinefest, Armageddon, and Overload. They’re always a highlight. I will definitely attend next year too!
5) Taking the plunge and starting my own comic! I’ve always wanted to do this but I was a bit anxious. Come Chromacon 2015 when I saw people’s zines and comics – a medium where artists don’t need rules to express themselves … let’s say it just really inspired me. I was like “fuck it, I’m just gonna post the comic” and good things happened. I never expected to get so many followers within the first month, when I was so happy that even 30 people enjoyed what I was creating. If you are one of those readers, thank you so very much! Now to keep drawing more comics~
6) Overall, I’m just really pleased about how feminism is getting a more positive response on social media. I’m just so glad that women are standing up for their rights and beliefs and calling out on what is not acceptable. It makes me feel that I can too. #goals
7) Awesome people like Emma Watson, Taylor Swift, Lena Dunham, Tavi Gevinson, Ariana Grande, Kaila Ocampo, Reese Lansangan, Mimei, Malala who are ever so inspiring and being the fierce, awesome girls they are. The list is growing!
8) Starting to attend meetups, even though I haven’t fully participated just yet. I’ve gone to some Game Dev ones and its really cool having a glimpse into the community here in New Zealand.
9) Okay, I’ve already mentioned it .. but Zinefest really opened up my eyes! In the mainstream media, we are constantly fed with the same ideas (some oppressive) about some topics and the information is quite controlled and geared with some bias that caters to a certain audience. Oftentimes, the information that is conveyed about a minority group is kinda .. looked over as silly or irrelevant. Its just really cool that with zines – you have a say. Write, draw, create anything you would like to express – it doesn’t matter. And when you read others zines, you’re getting the information from the horse’s mouth. There’s no filter and there’s some beauty in that
10) Friends. I feel like we haven’t met up enough this year! I never say it enough (partly cos I’m super shy about sharing my feelings SHUT UP) but thank you all for being a part of my life. There was a time where my life was dark and gloomy, and in recent years I have met cool people and nurtured closer friendships. I am grateful that there are kind people in this world. Thanks for the times we could talk about random shit, geek about the stuff we love, dress up together, laugh together, cry together, bond over unpopular opinions, debate over difference in opinions while still having respect for each other etc. Thanks times a billion ヾ(o≧∀≦o)ﾉﾞ
Just watched Joy tonight. It was a very inspiring movie about the struggles of a female entrepreneur who created the Miracle Mop. I’m a sucker for plots with passionate protagonists – “If you try your best and believe in yourself, you will reach your dreams!”. I admit I cried a little bit too.
Here’s an article which sums up what was awesome about Joy.
And some thoughts of my own …
1) It’s cool how Joy is a creative spirit with a lot of passion.
2) I like how Joy kept believing in her product even through adversity.
3) The film shows that success can be made from humble beginnings.
4) It is possible to be true to yourself while on the road to success.
5) When you reach success, there will always be people trying to take a piece of it.
6) Watching soap operas 24/7 may encourage paranoid thoughts.
7) Sometimes, people are better as friends rather than lovers.
8) To become successful, you may have to take some risks.
9) There is no better time to start than now.
10) I always thought Jennifer Lawrence was an awesome actress, and maybe its biased but all the movies she’s been in have been a good watch. She’s also so cool and down to earth in interviews.
11) I did not know that this kind of mop was a recent invention. I may have taken a useful product for granted all this time Keen on reading more about the real life lady this movie was based on!
There was quite a queue at the movies tonight. I bet they are all watching Star Wars! I’ll soon get on to that one too … but maybe when its less of a hit. I’m not sure if I would understand everything since I have only watched Episode 1! I suppose this calls for a Star Wars marathon ^p^.
Wow, would you look at the time. How is it 3am already?
It must be the holiday body clock settling in.
Hello, it’s Nico.
Welcome to my new space on the web – where I shall post little tidbits of my life, cute things, fandom and arty/crafty ventures. I like to draw, craft, cosplay, wear cute clothes, and most of all … enjoy the things that make me feel happy.
Stay tuned for more posts in the near future!